5 Home Improvement Projects To Help Sell Your Home
5 Home Improvement Projects To Help Sell Your Home
(BPT) - The real estate market has improved across much of the country, but homeowners thinking about listing their homes this summer need to stay competitive to attract buyers. Buyers are looking for long-term homes, ones they want to stay in for years while raising their children, or settling down and retiring.
To prepare your home for listing - or simply to enjoy it a few years longer - check out these top five home improvement projects you can do yourself to make your home more attractive to buyers:
1. Give the front door a new look- The front door sets the tone for your home's curb appeal and security, and it signals how well you maintain everything else. Buyers will be walking into your home via the front door, so be sure to give them a good first impression. If your door is in good shape, you might just need to give it a refreshing new coat of paint or new hardware. But if it's seen some wear and tear over the years, consider replacing it with a steel door - one that will show buyers your home is safe.
2. Update the most-used entryway- While the front door needs curb appeal, the garage door is traditionally the most-used door in the home. Old wooden garage doors will start to sag and the paint will peel, giving your home a run-down look. Replacing this door with an insulated steel door will not only improve the exterior look of your home, but also keep the garage space warmer. Finishing off the garage can also be a big draw for buyers, but you probably won't be able to recoup as much of the expense as you would by replacing only the garage door.
3. Add additional living space- You might not think about adding a deck as the same thing as adding an extra room to the house, but if you're selling your home during the warmer months, that's how buyers will see it. They'll be able to picture themselves enjoying breakfast and picnic dinners outside, or curling up on a lounge chair with a good book on a summer afternoon. To make your deck a good selling feature, consider using ProWood Dura Color, a color-treated wood that retains its color for years. This means your buyers can easily move into your house and can enjoy the space without the annual chore of staining. Realtor.com estimates that homeowners can recoup 87 percent of the investment of adding a deck when they sell.
4. Create a bathroom retreat- As the smallest room in the house, the bathroom tends to cost the least to remodel. If you have a guest or master bath that can use a little help to transform into a relaxing oasis, take the opportunity to replace the flooring, add cushy rugs, paint the walls and replace the accessories with more modern styles. Faucets, showerheads, the mirror and even the toilet can all be upgraded with water-saving and stylish designs. Buyers will take note of a maintenance-free bath, making your home one they'll remember as move-in ready.
5. Turn the backyard into a private paradise- Buyers will be visualizing themselves in your backyard when touring your home. They're looking to see how quiet and secure the space is. Consider adding a beautiful wooden fence to enhance the privacy. It will make the home attractive to families with children and pets, and for couples who aren't interested in having a conversation with the neighbors every time they go outside. To make your fence an attractive selling feature of the home, consider using ProWood Dura Color fence pickets or pre-built panels. The cedar-tone or redwood-tone colorant driven deep into the wood fibers will stand up to the sun's harsh rays and won't gray out over time, unlike cedar fencing. You can match it to the deck coloring for a beautiful accent look that connects the colors in your backyard.
Author:Lisa Handley Phone: 612-390-6520 Dated: April 15th 2016 Views: 359 About Lisa: TEAM LEADER & Sales Manager for TC Specialists is LISA HANDLEY - 612-390-6520. Lisa is a native of M...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Twin Cities Specialists is part of the Re/Max Advantage Plus team, where together we are stronger in achieving our clients’ goals. What sets us apart is our use of technology, our personal and professional service, and our desire to be the best at what we do as your community expert. In fact, we will help you find a community expert in your area, if we don't have one for you, just ask. TEAM LEADER & Sales Manager for TC Specialists is LISA HANDLEY - 612-390-6520. Lisa is a native of McIntosh, Minnesota, moved "south" with her family, to where it is "warmer" and, as an empty-nester, pursued her long-time goal of becoming a top real estate agent. Lisa is a person who cares about people and will do what it takes to see others achieve their goals. Ultimately, this is what prompted her to start her own team. The Twin Cities Specialists consists of service-oriented agents and other industry professionals that will do and be the best for our clients through the entire buying and selling process. TC Specialists will be there for our clients from the very early stages of planning, pre-approvals, showings, staging, photography, negotiations, and all the way through the closings. Our mission is to treat our clients the way we would want our own families to be treated, with kindness, respect and service that goes above and beyond.